Gabrielle Bisset

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Is That An Historical, Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

A few days back I mentioned to someone that I had written a romance, and their first response was, "Oh, is it something in history?"  I guess that's a natural response since I do have a master's in history, and I've been asked this question quite often.  My answer has always been that I have been pulled to paranormal romance instead of historical romance.  Well, I think an historical romance just began knocking on my brain's door.

Last Saturday, I spent the better part of the afternoon researching my hero's history in late 18th century England.  This was nothing new since I'd already written a little of his history in this time in the first book, but I had a great time doing the research and the chapter flowed beautifully onto the paper. (Yes, I am one of those people who write things about and then type them.  It's something about the feel of the pen and paper.)

Since then, ideas have been percolating in my mind about a single title historical.  I'm not sure it would be a Regency, although the romance readers of the world love that type of romance novel.  But ideas are there, so I won't be surprised if one day things begin to flow.  Now it's just a matter of when.

And on another front, the story I mentioned a few posts ago that I'd been mapping out has begun to take shape.  It involves Greek mythology in the form of Ares and Aphrodite, but it will be set in modern times.  I'm leaning toward it not being romance, but I'm still in the first chapter, so who knows where this one will lead.

1 comments:

AubrieAnne said...

I think that is probably a question I would ask. Although, I love both historical and paranormal romances, I always want to know which it is that I am about to read.

I myself have started a novel (with romance) taking place in Victorian England (Love it!!!) The research is fun, but it always seems like you haven't done enough. It doesn't help that I post my work on an international site with Englanders! lol. They are a great help, but they remind me of the time when I have to stop having fun writing at my own whims and actually get the facts straight.

Grrr! It's hard sometimes! Well, I am entranced with your blog thus far. I am following and can't wait to come back and read more! :)

AubrieAnne @ http://whosyoureditor.blogspot.com/